Mossel Bay, Western Cape
Slackpacking is a word that will be new to many in South Africa but the concept has been around for some time, especially in places like America and New Zealand. As Fiona McIntosh say in her book 'Slackpacking - A guide to South Africa's Top Leisure Trails', it is backpacking without the schlep. The Oystercatcher Trail at Mossel Bay is one such trail, guided with four star accommodation and excellent meals. The trail is of five days duration but a three day option is also available. Described here is the 5-day option. A three day option is also available
GREEN OYSTERCATCHER TRAIL RATES AND INFO 2011/2012
Capacity Price Range per Hiker
GREEN OYSTERCATCHER TRAIL: Min: 6 hikers & Max: 16 hikers R1985.00 pp
Day 1: (Arrival day on a Monday)
· Self drive to Mossel Bay
· Overnight in Mossel Bay at local Self catering/Apartments
Day 2: 15km
· Meet your guide and walk to the starting point of the Trail, at historical St Blaize Cave.
· Meander along cliffs an contour paths to Dana Bay, passing over Pinnacle Point golf estate
· Optional visit to Stone aged caves, swimming in rock pools.
· Overnight in Dana Bay (self catering or food packs and drinks can be purchased at guest house
Day 3: 12km
· Continue guided hike to Boggomsbaai along a magnificent beach where Oystercatchers feed and breed.
· Frequent sighting of whales seasonally gehind the breakers (June to October)
· Dolphins often play and surf along the route.
· Visit ancient Khoi San middens in the dunes.
· Arrive mid afternoon at Sandpiper centre.
· Relax at our Leisure Centre and Spa. Indoor pool. Massages and facials by arrangement
· Accommodation at Sandpiper in 4 star quality, self catering 2 and 3 roomed cottages.
· Food packs and drinks available to purchase.
Day 4: 21km
· After breakfast hike along beach and rocky shore to historical Fransmanshoek where the La Fortune French war ship sank in 1763
· Snorkel and swimming in secluded bay
· Continue hike along coast via Kanon village to Gourits river
· Meander up great sand dunes an option for the fitter ones
· Boat trip across the Gourits river
· Overnight at Skipskop self catering apartments in Gourits village where food packs are available to purchase
· Return transfer after your breakfast and farewell prize giving to Mossel Bay.
· Trails closed from mid December until mid January
· Our trails are along the edge of the sea
· The educational value of our trails is rated very high.
· All our trails are guided by experts.
· On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10 the trails rate at approximately 6/10
· The walking pace is as fast as the slowest in the group
· You carry your own backpack
· Recommended age group 8 to 70
· The oldest person to complete the hike was 83 and the youngest was 6 years old
· The Oystercatcher Trail hike is renowned for its eco and cultural educational value.
· The daily distances are normally completed in about 6 hours.
· The weather in our area is generally quite stable throughout the year.
· Southern Right whales are resident in our bays from June through to October.
· Dolphins hunt and surf all year round.
· Oystercatcher breeding season from September to March, but are present all year.
· Best months for swimming are January to May and September to December.
· Our aim is to ensure that our hikers enjoy every step and learn much about our fragile and beautiful environment.
· An added bonus is the use of the Sandpiper Leisure Centre which is available exclusively to our guests
· Massage Therapies and Facial available on request prior to arrival at Boggomsbaai.
· This Super Centre includes an indoor pool, sauna, glass back squash court, tennis court, toning gym, spinning bikes and a bubble bath with a view.
· The upper deck has wonderful view of the bay including an antique brass telescope to watch the whales splashing and spouting.
· The only Eco-friendly 9 hole popular farm style Golf Corse on the Garden Route.
Bookings for the Oystercatcher Trail can be made through
Jacana Travel Marketing and Reservations
Telephone 0861Jacana (0861 522262)
Direct phone: Port Elizabeth 041 378 1439
Pretoria: 012 803 9109
Direct fax: PE 041 378 2548
Pretoria: 012 803 4144
PE e-mail email@example.com
Pretoria e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Footprint Hiking Club
To view other pages on this website click on a hyperlink below